Affordable Housing Finance Consultant
Community Economics, Inc. (CEI) is seeking an affordable housing professional with excellent skills in financial analysis and strategic thinking. The successful candidate will assist nonprofit housing organizations and public agencies with financial analysis for the development of affordable rental housing. Significant experience in housing development finance and the Low Income Housing Tax Credit program is required.
The Consultant will work with multiple clients developing affordable rental properties serving a range of low income populations in various geographic regions. Duties will include:
- • Financial structuring of projects to determine appropriate funding sources such as Low- Income Housing Tax Credits, tax-exempt bonds, HUD and Rural Development, Federal Home Loan Bank Affordable Housing Program (AHP), State of California (or other state) loan programs, local funding programs, and rental or operating subsidies;
- • Assistance in preparing applications for Low Income Housing Tax Credits and other public and private financing sources;
- • Ongoing problem-solving and trouble-shooting on project financing and development matters;
- • Assistance in obtaining conventional construction and permanent financing;
- • Preparation of financial projections for use by lenders and investors;
- • Solicitation of investor and lender proposals;
- • Collaboration with other development team members including architects, attorneys, lenders, investors, and public agencies;
- • Analysis and negotiation of financing terms and legal agreements with lenders and investors.
In addition to the project-specific consulting work, the new staff member(s) will:
- • Develop training sessions for clients and partners;
- • Create workshops and trainings for regional and state affordable housing conferences.
- • Collaborate with other CEI staff to review policy proposals and program regulations and provide comments to the appropriate agencies.
Master’s degree in planning, public policy, real estate, finance, or a related field is preferred. Three to five years of experience in the development and financing of affordable housing is required.
- • Very strong Excel spreadsheet skills;
- • Demonstrated capacity to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously;
- • Demonstrated ability to work closely and sensitively with a diverse client base with a range of skill levels;
- • Excellent judgment and strategic thinking;
- • Demonstrated ability to learn new skills and take on greater tasks over time;
- • Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a wide variety of individuals and groups and on a small professional office team;
- • Confident written and public speaking skills;
- • Demonstrated commitment to the mission of expanding access to decent, safe, affordable homes for all people, and to the nonprofit development model.
CEI is at the forefront of the affordable housing movement, developing creative solutions and resources to address the ongoing housing affordability crisis. Through project-specific technical assistance, customized trainings, and long-term relationships with clients, CEI enhances the capacity of the nonprofit housing development community. We are proud to have assisted in the production of more than 50,000 affordable homes in more than 800 developments in California, Washington, Hawaii and other states.
CEI’s grounding in complex financial details of development strengthens our ability to influence affordable housing policy on the local and state levels. CEI staff members serve on the boards and policy committees of advocacy organizations such as Housing California, the Nonprofit Housing Association of Northern California, and California Coalition for Rural Housing.
CEI is committed to advancing racial, gender, and social equity. We are committed to hiring and promoting personnel with an explicit goal to advance people of color and people from traditionally underrepresented communities.
Our Oakland offices are located near public transit and other neighborhood amenities. Staff are working from home now; we expect to be back in the office in the next few months. We value work/life balance and have a collegial, collaborative work environment. We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefits package.
Position open until filled. Please send resume and cover letter by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer